Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Big Game

The Superbowl is this weekend. Arizona will play Pittsburgh, not that you didn't already know. However, I believe, that outside of Arizona and Pittsburgh, this has been the least hyped Superbowl in my lifetime. I can't seem to figure out what it is. Over years past, during the week leading up to the game, I seem to remember constant breakdowns of the match up on ESPN and constant in depth scouting reports on the Internet. Yes all this is still there, but I feel like there has been more hype surrounding the NFL draft than there has been the Superbowl.

Over the past week, during my time on ESPN.com and CBSsportsline.com, I keep seeing all the links to mock NFL Draft results. What? already? The Superbowl hasn't even taken place yet and we are already looking at the Draft? is all I can think when I see this. I don't know what it is like outside of Detroit, but everywhere I go here it seems that the big question on every ones mind is who are the Lions going to take with the first overall pick of the draft. So called expert analysts have already made their choices, but what qualifies them as an expert? Is it all the research they did during the college football regular season. What research can you do? Most of the information about a player entering the draft comes from the NFL combine, which doesn't take place until Feb. 18, so in that sense, Mel Kiper can take his "expert pick" and put it up his butt.

So, with all the attention placed on the draft, I would like to take sometime away from that, if you don't mind Kiper, to dissect the Superbowl. Star wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald and the Arizona Cardinals have made it to their first Superbowl ever. You see Detroit, it is possible. Unlike the Lions however, Arizona has made good decisions in the off season to sign decent free agents and pick good players in the draft. The likes of the next Terrell Owens, Aquan Boldin, and the man who has broken all of Jerry Rice's postseason records, Fitzgerald. Kurt Warner isn't that bad of a quarterback either. The offensive line is somewhat decent, and former Michigan Wolverine Steve Breston, although I prefer the Spartans to the Wolverines, is a pretty well rounded return man.

Then there is Pittsburgh, the team that won the Superbowl three years ago in Detroit. Led by Big Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers were 12-4 during the regular season and won the AFC North. Another set of Wolverines, Larry Foote and LaMarr Woodley lead the defence along with star safety Troy Polamalu. Wille Parker and Hines Ward are back healthy and are set to play and tight end Heath Miller has had a decent season himself.

So, who will win the big game. Well in my opinion, I'd like to see Arizona win as the fan of the Lions, a team that loses every week. I mean, if someone said that your team should play all their games on Comedy Central next season you probably would to. But who really cares who wins the Superbowl, isn't it all about the commercials anyways?

No comments:

Post a Comment