Thursday, March 26, 2009

It Is Possible

Unlike most kids who go to my school I like to listen to sports talk raido when I'm driving instead of music. However, over the last few weeks it has become obvious that with all the drama going on with the Lions that most of the people who call in are complete morons. Seriously, I just cant stand some of these idiots who call in and say some of dumbest stuff ever.

Last week, I was driving down 13 mile road on my way home from school listening to my favorite station, 97.1 The Ticket. They were talking about the Lions. As I was listening to an intelligent conversation when a man called in talking about how the Lions didn't really need a quarterback; when I heard this my I.Q. dropped by at least 40 points. I swear to god I wanted to call in myself and say "Have you ever seen a Lions game you dumb son of a b****?"
Now, with the draft approaching next month the Detroit Lions need to be careful with every single decesion they make. The first thing they need to do is make an effort to try and trade for Jay Cutler. With all the drama taking place in Denver odds are that becasue Cutler wants out of there so badly that they will eventually have to get rid of him. It would be smart for the Lions to do this because if they were able to get him, they could trade the top pick and get an offensive lineman.
Second, if the Lions were not able to get Cutler, the obvious thing to do would be to draft Matt Stafford out of Georgia. He is a better passer than USC's Mark Sanchez. Even though Stafford is not the most accurate person in the world he has a rocket launcher for an arm. For weeks now ESPN analysts Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay have debated about what the Lions will do with the number one pick. I do believe that the Lions should take Stafford because there really isn't anyone else to take. Yes, the Lions have a large amount of holes to fill on the offense and defense but the biggest open gap on the team is at quarterback. The quarterback is the team leader. They call plays and begin them, and without a strong leader at quarterback, it is impossible to win. I believe that with Stafford, or Cutler if possible, can be that leader who turns this team around.

Third, the Lions really need to improve thier offensive line. If they ever want to be a playoff contender they cannot give up sack after sack after sack. For the past several years they have led the league in this category.
The Lions are my team and I hate to see them lose. After going 0-16 last year, this year will be a rebuilding year, however a turn around is possible. Two years ago with the absence of a good quarterback the Miami Dolphins went 1-15, but one year later, Chad Pennington came in a led them to a 11-5 record and he was the runner up for NFL MVP. This year, the Detroit Lions are almost in the exact same situation. They have decent wide recievers, a defense that with support from the offense can keep the team in games, and they have a running back who with an improve offensive line can run past defenders. Don't forget that Miami drafted Chad Henne last year and then got Pennington from the New York Jets. Maybe the Lions can learn from another team and do the same thing. Trade for a veteran quarterback. There a few good ones still on the market. Hopefully the Lions can follow Miami's footsteps and have a turn around season. It is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment