Thursday, November 12, 2009

WMU Womens Basketball Team All in the Family With Giden Sisters

For some families, getting along with your sibling might be a little hard, but not for sophomore women's basketball players Miame and Robin Giden. They came to Western Michigan University in 2008 from Proviso East High School in Maywood Illinois looking for a chance to play together.

This dynamic duo has been playing basketball together since the seventh grade when they played Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) ball.

“I really started playing in sixth grade, [Robin] in seventh,” said Miame. “We played on four different teams together before college and now five.”

Once the sisters began to play AAU together they started to receive letters from different colleges around the country. They were recruited by Western Kentucky University, Illinois State University, Northern Illinois University, St. Louis College, and Western Michigan University.

“There were a lot of visits [to different schools] and we kept in contact with them,” said Miame. “We singed early in our junior year [of high school] because we liked Western Michigan and it was one of the only places Robin and I could be on the same team.”

The twins weren’t recruited by the current coach Tasha McDowell but by the former coach Ron Stewart.

“Even though we came in and there was a new coach, we saw how close knit the team was, and to me, that’s really important,” said Robin.

The two have been with each other their whole lives. They shared a room together when they lived at home, they roomed together in the dorms, and currently they have an apartment together.

“Living together is great,” said Robin. We take turns washing dishes and doing other stuff around the house. I love it.”

The two aren’t just sisters though. They are also teammates. They know each other’s game inside and out.

“Robin is a great post player,” Miame said. “She opens up a lot for me. I am able to drive to the basket. We are able to play off each other and look for each other on the floor. Its been this way for years.”

“From playing together I am able to see how much heart Miame has and how much love for the game,” said Robin. “It influences me.”

The sisters are truly a dynamic duo. They do everything together and love playing on the same team. They may be sisters first, but they are also teammates, and they have each other’s backs no matter what.

“I know I have someone there for me and I can go to her and talk to her about anything,” said Robin. “I can’t imagine doing anything without her.”

No comments:

Post a Comment